Friday, September 14, 2012

St Olaf's Andi Gomoll in This Week's MIAC Spotlight

One of this week's athletes selected for the Student-Athlete Spotlight
Andi Gomoll, St. Olaf College
Senior, Women’s Cross Country and Track and Field
Whitefish Bay, WI, Whitefish Bay High School
Major: American Studies; Individual Major: Growing Up in America: A study of American Identities (combines elements of Anthropology, American Studies, Education, and Psychology)
 
What do you like most about competing in the MIAC? 
I love that we all bring our A-game to every meet, but that there is still time for dancing at the starting line. We know the faces of the girls from every team, and there is competition without hatred. We are all part of a MIAC camaraderie.
 
What has been the greatest part of your collegiate athletic career thus far? 
Watching my teammates meet and exceed their goals. I love the storytelling that happens after a great race. Some of my favorite moments happened when I was sidelined by injury because I was able to see the small triumphs of my teammates.
 
What is the greatest lesson you have learned from being a student-athlete? 
A positive attitude will save you. Running is an incredibly mental sport, and we truly are our own worst enemies. I’ve learned the hard lesson that comes with the horrible jelly-legged feeling at the 4K mark of a 6K race: Keep pushing. Yes you can
 
If you could meet any athlete, who would it be and what one question would you ask them? 
Secretariat—the greatest racehorse of all time. I grew up riding horses, and I’ve always thought of (and tried to channel) their power when I run. I would ask him; “What goes through your head when you round the last turn and head for the finish line?”
 
What is something that most people do not know about you?
My nose has very little cartilage is and is incredibly squishy when pushed. It was a good luck charm for many of my high school cross country teammates to push it before races, and a few of my current teammates have adopted the ritual!

No comments: