Friday, September 21, 2012

MIAC Student-Athlete Spotlight

Photo courtesy of Gustavus 
Rebecca Hare, Gustavus Adolphus College
Junior, Wome's Cross Country, Indoor and Outdoor Track & Field
Albany, Minn. / Saint John's Preparatory School
Major: English, Minor: Spanish

Why did you choose to be a Division III student-athlete?
I wanted to attend an institution where I would have an opportunity to fulfill both my academic and athletic goals and strike a balance between the two.

What do you like most about competing in the MIAC?
I enjoy the friendly, yet competitive atmosphere, and I appreciate knowing that my teammates and our opponents are more than athletes, but pride ourselves in our education and leadership roles as well.

How do you hope your combined academic and athletic college experience will help you as you pursue future endeavors?
I hope it will show me the importance of balance between the physical and the intellectual and that they are both compatible to a single, positive and fulfilling lifestyle.

What is the greatest lesson you have learned from being a student-athlete?
I have learned to use my time effectively and to focus intently on the task at hand in order to maximize my productivity in both my academic study and athletic practice.

Who has been the most influential person in your athletic career?
My sophomore cross country coach was influential in my experience as a student-athlete because he was not a stereotypical coach. He was my English teacher, and he enjoyed inspiring us with beautiful and motivational poetry before practices and meets. He also believed we should look at running not only as a fleeting competitive sport, but as a lifelong habit to nourish and develop.

What is something that most people do not know about you?
I used to play football in elementary school, and I tried out for our collegiate rugby team. Unfortunately, I decided to quit because the rugby games conflicted with my track meet schedule. 

No comments: