Saturday, February 16, 2008

Tollefson talks about Tyson

Carrie Tollefson was sixth in her first race at the Tyson Invitational on Friday. Here are her comments on the race: "The race was my first track race in a year and a half. I was hoping to be competitive with the girls up front but am not quite ready. We went out faster then I could handle(66[for 400],2:13[800]) and just couldnt hang on. I think a 2:16 or 17 would have given me a better shot at a mid 4:30, which I would have been okay with, but I went over the edge too early. I wasnt planning on racing this early, but after a couple good workouts thought it would be good to throw myself in there. I do not feel this is an indication of my fitness, only an indication that I am rusty and racing for the first time after major surgery and my longest layoff. We have had three months of good training and I am still excited about the summer. Yes, I have a lot of work to do, but have my goals changed? Absolutely not!! I keep saying I am on the Giants plan, nothing matters until the championships! I thank everyone for their support and patience. I can't tell you all how nice it is to run a race without pain. Now getting my mind and legs race sharp is all we have to worry about. I am a fighter and this race reminded me why I have done all I can do to get back to this sport. I love it and cant wait to get back out there after a bit more work!"

Photo by Victor Sailer, courtesy of Team USA Minnesota.

No comments: