Sunday, February 17, 2008

Alex Gits talks about USATF experience

Edina's Alex Gits finished second in the Junior Women's 6K at the USATF Championships in San Diego on Saturday. This qualified her to represent the US at the IAAF World Championships in Edinburgh, Scotland on March 30. Afterwards she shared her thoughts: "First of all it was an incredible experience to run with some of the best up-and-coming distance runners in the country, and then finish the race and watch the pros take on what we had just completed. I thought my race went very well but I didn't finish where I did with out a little bit of luck.

"I went into the race with a temporary strategy. I say temporary because every race is different and you must always adjust to the runners beside you and be in tune to your inner racer. I wanted to stay conservative for the first 4K and then break out and do with what I had for the last 2K. Luckily I had a solid front pack in front of me for the first 3.5K who I could run behind and take energy from. Once Jordan(Hasay, the defending champion) and I split away and then when she split from me on the final 2K I made a quick decision- I could go with her and then risk pushing myself too hard and falling back, or stay where I am (with a good lead over the third runner) and finish the race strong to qualify, I chose the latter.

"The conditions couldn't have been more perfect and as far as great race weekend memories...I came with three of my teamates on the guys side and a male asisstant coach. Being the sole female was actually quite fun. It's interesting to see that other side of your team in an intimate atmosphere with only a total of five of us traveling. I also enjoyed seeing my parents, who came all the way from chilly Minnesota- my mom actually was hesitant to bring shorts on the trip because she had grown so accustomed to bundling up! Overall, nationals was a fantastic experience and I can't wait for Scotland. All the qualifiers I was talking to seem incredibly sweet, and I can't wait to share the glory of representing the United States with them."

For a video interview with Alex, click here.

No comments: