Thursday, February 14, 2008

Penguins for Me ... DtB for Everybody Else

DtB Editor/Publisher Charlie Mahler here ...

You're wondering what's up with the penguins on this post, I bet?

We'll, for the next few weeks, I'll be focusing my attention not on the stars of Minnesota track and field, cross country, and road racing but rather on the celebrities of the Antarctic: Megellanic, Adelie, and Gentoo Penguins (pictured) and their brethren ... and on travel to Antarctica, South Georgia Island, and the Falkland Islands.

Yep, I'm going on a cruise!

The polar regions have always fascinated me and when a long-time friend offered the opportunity to cruise to Antarctica at a greatly reduced price, I couldn't say no. So, for the next three weeks, I'll be pondering the exploits of Shackleton, Amundsen, and Scott rather than the performances of Goucher, Marks, and Dilling.

Hopefully, you all will hardly notice that I'm gone. I've asked Jim Ferstle, a freelance writer who lives in St. Paul and who has covered the sport for years, to carry the baton for me while I'm away. Jim's been a running-reporting hero of mine since I first read his work in the Pioneer Press in the mid-1980s, so I'm pleased, flattered, and humbled to have him sitting in my chair.

Between Jim at the helm and the usual support DtB gets from Pete Miller, Chris Marshall and our other contributors, the plan is to keep you all very well-informed about "Running and Track from Minnesota" in the coming weeks.

So while I'm away, enjoy the excitement of the climaxing indoor season and the building energy of the international cross country campaign ... and know that I'll be checking DtB for news, myself ... whenever I visit a penguin colony with a strong wireless signal.

Photo by Carrie Jennings.

1 comment:

maxpower2911 said...

Have Fun!