Friday, February 01, 2008

Goucher Wins Millrose Mile in 4:36.03

Kara Goucher won the women's mile at the 101st Millrose Games Friday night.

The Duluth native clocked 4:36.03 to edge Sara Hall, second in 4:36.11.

USATF described the race thusly: "The women's mile came down to a trophy dash between 2007 World Outdoor Championships 10,000m bronze medalist Kara Goucher and two-time NCAA 5,000m runner-up Sara Hall.

Hall held a slight lead coming off the final turn before Goucher burst past her on the inside just in front of the finish line to win in 4 minutes 36.03 seconds. Hall was the runner-up in 4 minutes 3 seconds."

USATF also quotes Goucher and Hall after the event:

Kara Goucher: "Sara swung a little wide coming off the final turn and I was just able to sneak in to get past her. This is awesome. I haven't run on banked tracks since 1999. This was a lot of fun. I didn't know I could win here but I thought I could be competitive."

Sara Hall: "I gave my best and I'm happy with that. I'm going to do Indoor Nationals and hope to make the world championships team."

Also ... Runner's World has a great interview with Goucher and Hall HERE. Runner's World also interviewed Goucher HERE, just before the Millrose Games.

Photo by Victor Sailer http://www.photorun.net/.

No comments: