Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Emily Brown Makes Team, Makes Time for Worlds

Emily Brown surprised herself this weekend by finishing third in the USATF XC Championships in San Diego. Now she just has to juggle her responsibilities with internship she has at the U of M grad school nutrition program with her success on the race course.

Here are her thoughts: "The race obviously went better than I expected. I tried to take a pretty nonchalant approach to the race since I had never raced that distance before and really had no expectations of myself going in. I felt really relaxed throughout the greater portion of the race and just kept pushing the limits with each passing lap. The best memory I will take away from the race is the incredible Minnesota fan base that somehow materialized in San Diego.

"Every time we ran past the crowd, I could hear someone cheering for Emily, and I really thought there must have been another Emily. But then I saw some Minnesota hats and t-shirts and I was really proud that Katie (McGregor), Kristen (Nicolini Lehmkuhle), Mandi (Zemba), and I were able to represent the state well. Going into the race I said that I wouldn't go to Worlds even if I made it because I wouldn't be able to get the time off from my internship. But, in all honesty, I said that because I didn't think I would make it. I do plan on going and have offered to work Easter weekend at the hospital in order to do so. I think it will be a great time, and I am really honored to have the opportunity to represent the US on the World level."

Photo Courtesy of Team USA MN

No comments: