Friday, October 05, 2012

MIAC Sports Spotlight/USTFCCCA Rankings

Megan Smith, College of Saint Benedict
Senior, Cross Country, Track and Field
Lakeville North High School/ Lakeville, MN
Major: Biology, Minor: Spanish

Why did you choose to be a Division III student-athlete?
 Being a division III athlete allows me to have the best of both worlds. My academics don’t take a back seat to my athletic career. I devote myself to training and competing because I’m passionate about running, not because I have to maintain a scholarship. Competing at the collegiate level is a unique and challenging experience; It’s something I would have missed out on had I chosen a division I school.

What do you like most about competing in the MIAC?
 There are so many talented teams in the MIAC that bring exciting competition to our races. And I know I’m surrounded by other athletes who share my passion for running and focus on academics—We’re all experiencing the same pressures.

What is the greatest lesson you have learned from being a student-athlete?
Patience. Like running, you’re going to work tirelessly at something, and still finish unsatisfied or disappointed. Things are going to go wrong. But I’ve learned to be patient, work on things I can change and let go of the things I can’t. I’ve learned that success requires dedication, pushing your limits and having faith. Then its patience; one day that amazing race is going to happen and all the work and time you put in will be worth it.

What is your most embarrassing sports moment?
Falling over a steeple barrier that wasn’t even the water barrier. It took a few seconds before I registered what happened and got back up. Luckily, very few people saw so it was only embarrassing to me.

If you have been involved in community service projects, which project has been the most rewarding and why?
I worked at an orphanage for young children while I was studying abroad in Chile. I truly felt like I made a difference after just a few months there, providing mental stimulation and a positive role model for the children, something they otherwise lacked. These kids will never experience the childhood I was fortunate enough to have, but if I could make them smile or giggle, I know I improved their day even for just



The USTFCCCA rankings for this week:
Division I
Gopher men stayed at 16th in the national rankings, fell from three to four in the Region
Gopher women climbed from not ranked to 27th in the national polls, held third place in the Region
Division II
Minnesota State Mankato men rose from second to third in the Region, rose from 25th to 16th in the national rankings
MSM women held third in the Region, rose from not ranked to 27th in the national rankings
Winona State women rose from not ranked to 18th in national rankings
University of Minnesota Duluth women stayed at eighth in the Region, fell from 25th to 26th in the national rankings
Division III
St. Olaf men fell from first to fourth in the Region and from 17th to 34th in the national rankings
St. Olaf women fell from 11th to 12th in the national rankings, stayed at second in the Region
St. Johns men stayed at 6th in the Region
Bethel's men rose from tenth to seventh in the Region
Carlton's men stayed at ninth in the Region
Carleton's women fell from 20th to 21st in the national rankings, stayed at
St. Thomas' men rose from not ranked to tenth in the Region,
St Thomas' women fell from 24th to 30th in the national rankings, stayed in fourth in the Region
St. Ben's women stayed at sixth in the Region
Gustavus' women rose to seventh from eighth in the Region
Concordia(Moorhead) women stayed at tenth in the Region

No comments: