Friday, March 07, 2008

Marks Fails to Quaify for Finals at Worlds

I just got done competing and it did not go very well. (Marks did not qualify for the final, finishing 16th in qualifying, jumping 13.33 meters/43' 8.75". Hrysopiyi Devetzi of Greece had the longest jump in qualifying of 14.63/48' meters Eight qualified for the final with the final spot taken by Olga Rypakova of Kazakhstan with 14.20 meters). I actually felt pretty good, but my approach was messed up, and I was either way behind the board or scratched. "It was horrible. I couldn't get into my rhythm," Marks told the USATF's Vicky Oddi. "On one of my jumps my leg collapsed and another was a foul. It just wasn't there."

I have to be honest... most countries are not fond of the US athletes. Partly because we are the US, but also partly because we dominate so many events, track and field events, especially the sprints. The US team is used to that and no one really lets it get to them. However, as US athletes I would say that we get treated very well by our governing body (USATF) in comparison to other countries. We stay at great hotels, have a great big staff ready to provide us with anything that we might need, we get an abundance of apparel to wear during the meets, etc.

I am done competing now, but I'm excited to enjoy my last few days in Spain watching the meet and cheering on my teammates. Then I will be ready to get home, take a little time off, and then get prepared for outdoor season.

The IAAF website has complete coverage of the World Championships. Full results and highlights, live radio coverage, as well as photo and video highlights. Just click here.

Photo Courtesy of USATF

No comments: