Saturday, March 15, 2008

Jorge Torres Nips Carlson for NYC Win;
McGregor 2nd to Flanagan, Tollefson 14th

Jorge Torres nipped Team USA Minnesota's Andrew Carlson at the finish line to win this morning's Central Park Challenge/USA 8K Championship in New York City.

Carlson (pictured) said of the race: "I had my chances to try and lead during the race and tucked in from time to time. I liked pushing up the hills and felt good going down hill as well. Jorge made a break at 800 meters to go and got ahead of me but I was closing on him as we got to the finish line. After the 15k I felt terrible all week and on my warmup too, but when the gun went off today I felt good."

Carlson's teammate Brad Lowery was 15th; Matt Gabrielson was a DNF at 4 miles.

A finish line photo can be found HERE.

A race re-cap can be found HERE.

Men's results can be found HERE.

Team USA Minnesota's Katie McGregor finished second to Shalane Flanagan in the women's invitational race there.

McGregor said of the race: "I wish I would have been more aggressive today but overall I had a good race. I had a bad mile between miles three and four on the long uphill where I lost some ground. I feel like I can handle a faster pace. I just mentally need to focus through the entire distance. I'm looking forward to World Cross Country in a couple of weeks and would like to be in the top 20 there at the very least. Everything I am doing now and during the next couple of months is in preparation for the [U.S. Olympic Track]Trials this summer."

Cack Ferrell finished 13th, Carrie Tollefson was 14th.

Said Tollefson: "My training and workouts are going well. I just need to race more to get back in the game."

Women's results can be found HERE.

Photo by Victor Sailer http://www.photorun.net/.

No comments: