Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Liz Roehrig Talks About Her Fourpeat

University of Minnesota senior Liz Roehrig became the first person at the school to win the same event four years in a row at the Big Ten Championships when she won the pentathlon on Saturday. Her win was one of three individual event wins on day one of the competition that propelled the Gophers into a lead they would never relinquish on their way to their second straight team title. Roehrig answered a few questions about her accomplishments and future plans for DtB.

DtB: You have set one of those records that can't be topped, only tied, so you'll always have your unique spot in history. How does that feel?

LR: To some extent it is really just starting to sink in what I have accomplished. At the time it was just amazing to win the title in front of the home crowd, and get the points for the team.

DtB: Did you just approach it year by year? No thoughts after the first one that you could do it four years in a row?

LR: It's definitely something that just kind happened year by year. My freshman year I didn't say to myself: "Wow, my goal is to win the pentathlon four years in a row," it was something that just kind of fell in place, and I enjoyed the ride the entire way. I could have never done it without being able to just go out there and have fun.

DtB: What is the toughest event for you? Which one do you enjoy most?

LR: The toughest event is definitely the 800, however, I feel this season I have more mental and physical control and power to compete strong in this event. When asked which event I enjoy the most, I always have trouble answering that question. High jump has always been my favorite event because it is the event that I have done for my entire life. I do enjoy competing in hurdles and long jump also a lot!

DtB: How does the team aspect play into it?

LR: The team means a lot to me. Many people ask about big tens and nationals, and I always say that nationals is just like a bonus. I like to train my season around Big Tens because that is the most important meet to me. Sacrificing my body to score as many points as I can for the team at the Big Tens, in hopes that our team can win means more to me then winning a national title. A team title you can share and enjoy with everyone you have been training with all year. An individual title you just kind of celebrate by yourself. I will compete my hardest, and try my best to be a national champ, but winning with the team is just different. It's kind of hard to explain, but that's just how I feel.

DtB: Have any of the titles been more memorable than the others?

LR: I think the title I just won is probably my most memorable. Being at home and having the home crowd there to cheer for you. I had so many family members and friends there to watch, it made me so proud to look out into the crowd after I won and see people standing up, cheering and waving. Some of them have never seen me compete, and I felt like winning the title was a way of thanking them for all of their support throughout my athletic career. (Roehrig and Coach Bingle celebrate the victory. Photo courtesy of University of Minnesota)

DtB: What are your fondest memories of the last four years?

LR: Any memories of being with the team and coaches, just having a good time. My favorite memories are from multi competitions when Maggie, Jacenta, me, and Coach Bingle travel together and spend WAY to much time together, ha ha. We all have become really close through track, and can joke around and just have so much fun doing the oddest/craziest things.

DtB: What's next? NCAAs?

LR: NCAAs are a week from Friday, and the pentathlon at NCAAs are a week form Saturday. I am really looking forward to that competition, because it will be really intense. There will be some amazing athletes there, and it is always great to get out there and compete.

DtB: What are your goals? Goals beyond college?

LR: Track is more important when it comes to the outdoor season, so ultimately I would just like to pick-up where I left off last year when I got injured. I feel I have come a long way, and I am stronger and more capable of improving my heptathlon score from last year before the injury. Another goal is to compete well in the Olympic trials, and continue to progress in the heptathlon

DtB: Do you have the desire to continue on with the sport?

LR: I would love to compete in track and field forever! This sport has shaped my life so much the way it is. However, we all know that forever is not an option, ha ha. I do plan on continuing with track and field as long as my body allows me to!

DtB: How does it fit in with your school work, your future career plans?

LR: I plan on graduating in December and starting my graduate work in the spring for my final season of eligibility. Then in June of '09, I will start a year long program here at the U of M to get my Physical Education license. As far as after that, everything is up in the air! I like to just go with the flow of things, and more then likely that is what I will end up doing!

Photo Courtesy of the University of Minnesota

No comments: