Thursday, August 09, 2012

Barbora Špotáková Repeats as Women's Olympic Javelin Champion

Defending Olympic women's javelin champion Barbora Špotáková turned in a dominating performance to defend her title at the London Games on Thursday. Following Kenya's David Rudisha's World Record performance in the 800 and Usain Bolt's repeat victory in the 200m, the crowd had thinned out before the women's javelin competition got underway, but Špotáková's performance got them into the event.

The All American performer for the University of Minnesota took the lead with her first throw and never looked back. She threw a season's best of 68.55m on her fourth throw to clinch her victory. Her series went 66.90m, 66.80m, 66.24m, 69.55m, foul, foul.

Defending her title wasn't her motivation: "I didn't even dare to think about it in this competition. I didn't realise it but it will come tomorrow. I said to myself this evening, I have got lots of experience, and I am healthy, and I am 100%. I believe in myself.

"My coach (Jan Zelezny) has won (the Olympics) three times so I still have things to do. I feel amazing. I am 31 years old, I have got so much experience, and I am feeling healthy.

"It was a really strange competition this evening. The stadium was half-empty, but the atmosphere was great. And these Olympic Games are the biggest experience for athletes."

No comments: