Monday, February 18, 2013

MIAC Spotlight

Allyson Voss, Gustavus Adolphus College
Senior, Women’s Track and Field
Wausau Wis./ Wausau West
Major(s): Anthropology and Spanish
 
What is the greatest lesson you have learned from being a student-athlete?
I think one of the most valuable lessons I learned as a student-athlete at Gustavus was how to be driven and competitive while still keeping it all in perspective.  At the end of the day whether I am successful or not in one meet doesn’t make me a better or worse person, as long as I give it my all for myself and my team.  I think it is really important to realize that in athletics.

Who has been the most influential person in your athletic career?
The most influential person in my athletic career has been Fred Berg.  Having the chance to work with him as a coach for the past three and a half years has been a blessing and I consider him to be a very important mentor in my life.  Without Fred’s daily affirmations, life tips, science jokes and positive attitude I would not have been able to stay grounded and see that every day I just get to be in the pole vault pits is a gift and a great day whether or not it is actually a good vaulting day or not.  Fred has made me a better athlete and a better person and I will take his life lessons with me off the track after this season is over!

If you could meet any athlete, who would it be and what one question would you ask them?
 I would definitely choose to meet Sergei Bubka.  He was such a phenomenal athlete that lifted the sport of pole-vaulting to what it is today.  I would love to ask him why he didn’t go all out and jump as high as he possibly could while he was in his physical prime.  It kills me that we will never know just how high he could have gone and what the world record would be today!

What is your greatest sports moment?
The greatest moment of my collegiate athletic career so far was competing at the DIII Outdoor National Championships in 2012.  My entire family was able to be there to watch me break my personal record as well as the school record in the pole vault in order to earn my first All-American title.

What is something that most people do not know about you?
I think that a lot of people would be surprised to know that I love to dance the tango.  Whenever I have the chance I grab a dress, throw on some high heels and get to a milanga or tango lesson, particularly when my twin sister is around! 
 
If you have been involved in community service projects, which project has been the most rewarding and why?
Since the fall of my freshman year I have been involved in the Big Partner Little Partner mentorship program through Gustavus.  I have met with the same little girl on a weekly basis for close to four years and watching her grow up and keep taking steps towards who and what she wants to be in the future has been an unbelievable experience.  

No comments: