Monday, February 04, 2013

MIAC Athlete Spotlight--Dream Job either PT for Pro Athletes or Killer Whale Trainer



Coleman, Kendra
Kendra Coleman, College of Saint Benedict
Junior, Women’s Volleyball and Track and Field
Pelican Rapids
Major: Biology

Why did you choose to be a Division III student-athlete? 
It was really important to me that education comes first.  I thought that Division III would be a great fit for me because it really emphasizes the student aspect of student-athlete.  Division III also provides the opportunity to compete at a high level in the sports that I wished to pursue, and also offered the opportunity for me to compete in more than one sport.

What is the greatest lesson you have learned from being a student-athlete?
The greatest lesson I have learned from being a student-athlete is that in order to be a part of a team, you need to focus on the task at hand and prioritize your thoughts.  When at practice or at a game or meet, the mind needs to be clear of all worries and thoughts in order to focus on competing at the highest level possible.  When this is done, you can be sure to perform at your best.  The same goes for school work.  When writing a paper or studying for a test, you need to get rid of all distracting thoughts in order to do your best work.

Who has been the most influential person in your athletic career?
The most influential person in my athletic career would have to be my mom, who was my coach in high school.  She taught me to be tough and to stand tall in the face of adversity.  She taught me that hard work can go a long ways and will always pay off in the end.  My mom has always been there through my triumphs and heartbreaks, and never fails to tell me when I need to ‘suck it up and play’.   She tries to make it to every game or meet that I compete in, and I love to look in the stands and see her there cheering me on. The greatest lesson my mom taught me is that no matter what, follow your dreams and know you can achieve them, no matter what anyone else says.  Being from a small town, it was a long shot that I would get to be a collegiate athlete, but in following my mom’s advice, I am now a part of not one, but two collegiate teams and am successful in both. 

How would your teammates describe you?
I think they would describe me as driven, aggressive, intense, silly, strong, happy and fun-loving.

What is your dream job? 
A Physical Therapist for professional athletes…..or a Killer whale trainer at SeaWorld

If you have been involved in community service projects, which project has been the most rewarding and why? 
The most rewarding community service project that I have been involved with is Red Cross’ Day of Caring.  We took a day to go around the community to see if anyone needed help with any yard work or other household chores that they may not be able to do.  Through this project I was able to meet so many interesting people from my community and even gained some new friendships.  By helping those in need, I felt gratification for doing something good for my community, as well as the joy of meeting wonderful new people that I would never have met if it were not for this project.

No comments: