Thursday, March 11, 2010

Tollefson Readies for the Big Day

We knew the due date for Carrie Tollefson's pregnancy was fast approaching, so we caught up with the Olympian, USA and NCAA champion, and former Minnesota high school phenom last week to see how things were going.

Not that we're surprised or anything, but Tollefson (pictured) is keeping herself very busy. Hear just how busy, below.

Down the Backstretch: We noticed by the calendar that you're less than two months away from your due date. How has the pregnancy gone so far? About what you expected?

Carrie Tollefson: The pregnancy has been going great and I actually have about 5 weeks to go. It has gone by really fast and I can honestly say that I can complain at all. I am still trying to keep my training as my main focus but obviously have tweaked things throughout to make sure the baby and I are both safe.

It has been really fun being pregnant, but I do miss going outside for a nice long run or a really hard session on land. I picked a good winter to not have to train through and it is nice that the footing is starting to get better so maybe I can get out for a few walks/runs before the baby arrives.


DtB: Word is you've been training pretty steadily throughout your term. What have you been doing and how has it gone?


Tollefson: I have been training pretty hard and enjoying every minute of it. I am able to run about 3-6 miles at a time. I could go further but I don't want to hurt anything. I just want to keep my body in tune with the running so I just go at a slow pace and not push it too much. However, I do push it hard when it comes to my underwater
treadmill workouts. I do that 2-3 times a week and I do all of my interval training on that.

The treadmill is at Accua in Savage and has been awesome. I highly recommend it for any pregnant runners or anyone with an issue keeping them from doing workouts at full body weight. My trainer at Accua, Kristi Hermann, puts me through my treadmill workouts and has me lifting 2-3 times a week as well.Then to top it off, once a week I meet with my new Agility coach, Bill Welle.

He has helped me work and rebuild my strength and agility during this time. We are hoping to be able to continue doing what we have been up until the end but will have to play it by ear. We all are working so hard to get me back to full strength after the baby and we have made it this far so regardless, it WILL pay off! It has been a great time for me to fully recover from the setbacks I have had over the past few years and address some of my hidden weak spots that might have been holding me back.


DtB: Has it been difficult going from a life focused on being a professional runner, first and foremost, to one centered on the child you're carrying?


Tollefson: My life hasn't changed too much except that the baby is the first thing I think of rather then my run. I get up and evaluate how I am feeling everyday and am as honest and open with Kristi and Bill. We just have to be on the same page and very open to tweaking things as need be.

I am still 100% athlete just with a big belly!

Don't ask me to model my uniform right now but my mind and body are still working hard and keeping 2012 at the forefront. I have been able to still do a few TV gigs and a number of speaking engagements the past 7 months so life really hasn't changed too much. We just can't believe how fast the pregnancy has gone and before you know it, I will be back out racing again and introducing our little one to the running world.


DtB: What else has been keeping you busy recently?


Tollefson: Well it is that time of year again to get ready for the Carrie Tollefson Training Camp. Many people don't understand that my sister and I actually run the camp and actually have all of my family working it. We absolutely love it. So many people assume that all professional athletes just lend their name to camps and don't do much behind the scenes but that is not true at my camp.

My sister, Kammie Jackson, and I run the whole show and we even stay with the kids in the dorms so it keeps us busy from here on out. We love the camp and this will be our 4th year hosting the camp. We encourage the kids to go to my website at www.carrietollefson.com to learn more information about the camp or email us with any questions.

They can register there and should soon. It fills up fast and we already have quite a few kids signed up. It is held at St.Catherine University in St.Paul, July 8-11, 2010. We welcome runners in grades 7-12 and of any ability. It is a great camp with some of the best runners in the nation that counsel and speak to the kids. We learn so much about ourselves there and I am honored to have my name on this camp and help contribute to the running community in any way I can.

Please check it out and one day soon, I hope to have a few camps for the big kids, the adults that love this sport like I do!

Photo courtesy of Carrie Tollefson.

No comments: