Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Katie McGregor Talks About Bay to Breakers

Down the Backstretch: The Bay to Breakers race has quite a reputation, both as a competitive event and a happening. What memories will you take away from the event?

Katie McGregor: Wow, I had a great time in San Francisco. I didn't really get to see a lot of things the race is known for because the elite women start before everyone else. But, I did see some naked people and a lot of costumes. One memorable event for me was the ING Run For Something Better event on Thursday in Golden Gate Park. ING, Reebok and other sponsors teamed up with Bay to Breakers to put on a wonderful kids event. For more information, visit http://www.ingbaytobreakers.com/content.php?section=other&page=run_for_something_better.

DtB: How did it fit into the overall plan for the season? A tune up for track nationals? An opportunity too good to pass up?

KM: It was a fun way to get in a longer race without a lot of pressure. It may be known for the party that it is, but Bay to Breakers is a first class event and something that everyone should experience.

DtB: What are the plans for the USATF championships? Any more races prior to it?

KM: I will be racing the 5K at the Reebok Grand Prix meet May 30, and then the 10K at nationals.

DtB: Were you pleased with the result(eighth place) at Bay to Breakers? Learn anything from it?

KM: I felt like I should have placed a bit higher, but overall it was a good race. I got a bad side stitch around mile four that I couldn't shake. It was a little bit distracting, and I felt like I should have been up with the sixth-place runner. I did learn a lot about the course though and I would love to give it another shot. The Hayes Street hill was a killer, it took me about a mile after it to get my legs back.

No comments: