Thursday, May 21, 2009

Anatomy of a Team Title: Penn State's Coach Beth Alford-Sullivan Tells What It Took To Win

While the Gopher women were third in the team competition last weekend, it turns out that the team title is still at least a little bit "in the family." Penn State Nittany Lions head men's and women's coach is Beth Alford-Sullivan. As Rosemount High's Chris Harder pointed out, Alford-Sullivan has Minnesota roots. As her Penn State coaching bio notes: "In 2007, Sullivan was inducted into the Classic Lake Conference and the Hopkins High School Hall of Fame." And that's only one of many honors she has received in her athletic career. You can read the full bio here. To that she can now add another Big Ten team title. Below she talks about how the "race" was won.
DtB: For the spectators the Big Ten Championships had to be a treat to watch. Plenty of drama and excitement. Nothing decided until the final event. What was it like for the coaches and the Penn State team being involved in a competition that was that close, that tense?

Beth Alford-Sullivan: Well, the meet was very close on Sunday. We were very excited to be a team in the hunt and worked hard to stay relaxed and have fun. Our athletes were hungry to try to repeat, as we came close to winning indoors, only losing to Minnesota by four points. So, the entire weekend was charged with an attitude of anything can happen. The final hour of the meet was an absolute adrenaline rush for me. Each event mattered so much, and I was doing my best to keep the score after every final. It was so much fun to see it unfold and our Lions just closing the gap with each event.

DtB: Even though you were the defending champions, the team went into the meet as underdogs. Was that an advantage for you? Were you able to use last year's experience to buoy the team's confidence or didn't they need any special motivation?

BAS: I found it to be a great advantage. At our team meeting on Monday before the meet, I explained to the team that, on paper, Michigan and Minnesota were the favorites, and we were indeed the underdogs. I think this was the best approach to take with this team. They did not expect me to paint that picture, and I believe they were a little upset that, on paper, we looked to be third. I set the 'Underdog' theme into motion and it paid off; as at our team meeting Saturday, the night before the final day of competition, I explained that Michigan had overachieved their predicted point tally by twelve points, Minnesota by seven points, and we were down by six points. We were clearly the underdogs and that, on Saturday night, we believed it was Michigan's meet to loose. I told them however that the team that scored 140 points would be the winning team. I told them it will be us or Minnesota that is the spoiler, and the team that wins will be the team that goes out there and steals it. As it turns out I was right; we won with 139 points and we stole a lot of points on our last day!


DtB: The team's scoring strength came primarily from the field events and the sprints, but all three of the top teams had pretty balanced scoring.

Were there key events or particular areas where you know the athletes had to come through for you to win?


BAS: I agree. We are very strong in the sprints and field events. I believe those areas are the core to a successful track and field team. Sprinters, jumpers, and throwers can compete in multiple events at the conference levels, and we have always put a lot of emphasis in these areas. AND it pays off.

The Big Ten is stacked with high level and deep quality in the distance events and the distance runners can't do too many events, so this makes the most sense to build a program strong in the other areas. But as the meet unfolded on Sunday, I knew what we needed to do in each event to be in the hunt to win. I will never forget the 200 where Shavon Greaves put the hammer down to win, but Gayle Hunter came through on the final 75 meters to earn second. They knew we needed to go one/two. Then I pulled Bridget Franek aside just before the gun of the 5k and told her she 'must' finish in the top three, and she 'cannot' let a Minnesota gal beat her! We need at least six points to be within .75 of Michigan at this stage--so the top three was critical. When she finished third, I knew we were only .75 behind Michigan. So it was so exciting!!

DtB: When you knew that the team title depended on finishing in the four by 400 result did you or any of the coaches say anything, provide any advice To the team before they ran?

BAS: Yes, we knew the relay was our final chance. What better drama can there be?! Coach Chris Johnson is my sprint coach and he always has the troops ready for a great conference meet. The four by 400 is our signature event as we were National champions last year, and our athletes have a huge amount of pride in this event. I knew well before the gun went off that we would hold off Michigan and win the meet. Mostly we reminded the ladies this is why we coach, and this is why they run---for moments like this. Where it comes down to the final event for the win, and that they should embrace this opportunity and go represent the Blue and White! All four of our relay members were exhausted from the demands of the weekend, but there really wasn't a moment that I doubted the Lions....I knew what they could do!!

DtB: Are there any memories or things that will stick in your mind that Happened during the past weekend?


BAS: Mostly, I will remember the preparation of the championships. I was proud of the way our team meetings went and the attitude of our athletes. I was proud of my coaching staff, and I was so happy to celebrate a win with all of them, plus Coach Fritz Spence, our jumps coach that missed last year's win due to his fight with leukemia. (One that he won and is doing great)! It meant so much to him and to me to have him win with us!!

And of course I will always remember the 1/4 point that separated a win and a runner-up status. That is a great story for the rest of my career!!


DtB: While winning was inspiring, I'm sure the event was both physically and emotionally draining for the athletes and the coaches. What do you do to "get back to normal" and go on with the rest of the season after this Sort of contest?

BAS: I am still beat!! We have 39 men and women qualified for the NCAA East Regional meet, and so we mostly got right back to practice as usual on Monday. My husband (also our vault coach) told me to take it easy on Monday, so I slept in, but I was still in the office by noon.

Photo Courtesy of Penn State University

No comments: