Saturday, August 10, 2013

Podominick Does Not Qualify for Discus Finals, Faber 23rd in Women's Marathon at IAAF World Championships

As the IAAF World Championships opened in Moscow, Liz Podominick finished tenth in the first wave in the women's discus with a toss of  185' 1"/56.41m and did not qualify for the final.  Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon champ Jeannette Farber finished 23rd in the women's marathon in 2:44:03. Podominick was the second US finisher in the disc, as only Gia Lewis-Smallwood made the final among the US throwers with a 201'1"/61.30m toss in the second flight. Faber was the third US finisher in the marathon as teammate Deena Kastor placed ninth in 2:36:12.  Marathon results are HERE. Discus HERE.

“It happened really fast. I felt physically and mentally I was ready," Podominick said.  "Just the throw didn't come, and I couldn't save the throw that was there. But it was a great experience and makes me realize that I'm ready for this and there's more to come.”

“I’m happy its over," said Farber of the hot, humid conditions.  "I went in just adjusting all expectations and just trying to place as well as possible. It was just tough to do that. The second half hurt a lot worse than I even anticipated, and I feel I saw more women drop out ahead of me than I actually passed. In the end, I’m happy with my place"

No comments: