Sunday, October 05, 2008

USA Marathon: Cabada Wins in 2:16:32;
Team USA's Gabrielson 2nd in 2:17:38


Fernando Cabada won this morning's USA Men's Marathon Championship held in conjunction with the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon. The Boulder, Colorado resident crossed the rain-soaked finish-line in 2:16:32.

Team USA Minnesota's Matt Gabrielson finished 2nd in 2:17:38. Edwardo Torres was 3rd in 2:17:54.

University of Minnesota alum Chad Johnson finished 7th in 2:20:47 ... Team USA Minnesota's Chris Lundstrom was 11th in 2:22:09 ... teammate Josh Moen was 15th in 2:23:16 ... Gopher alum and Team USA Minnesotan Antonio Vega finished 16th in 2:23:41 ... Team USA's Macharia Yuot finished 39th in 2:32:05.

2002 Twin Cities Marathon champion Dan Browne dropped out after the half-way point.

Said Cabada (pictured), tearfully: “I don’t want to wake up and have it be a dream. I haven’t had any glory for the past 22 months and I missed it and I don’t ever want to go back. When I took the lead I said, this is where I belong, I’m strong. I’m not giving up for anything.”

Said Gabrielson: "At Mile 25 I was thinking, it's me, Mike Morgan, and Ed Torres. I'm thinking to myself, you know, about 12 weeks ago I ran a four-minute mile,basically, a 3:41.8 1500 meters -- there's no way these guys are going to beat me. At a mile, I just threw it down as best I could, and it worked."

He added: "I kept looking back, though, to make sure they weren't going to drop theirs!"

Bruce Brothers' fine Pioneer Press story is HERE.

Rachel Blounts' great Star-Trib story is HERE.

Read the AP story in the Star-Tribune HERE.

Find full results HERE.

Photo by Kevin Coloton/
Competitive Image.

No comments: