Sunday, October 05, 2008

TCM Women: Olga Glok wins in 2:32:28


Olga Glok (pictured) made up a ten second deficit at the 25-mile mark and moved into the lead in the last half-mile of the race to win the women's race at today's Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon in 2:32:28.

Silvia Skvortsova, the leader with a mile to go in the race, finished 2nd in 2:32:39. Elza Kireeva finished 3rd in 2:39:49 to complete a Russian sweep of the event's podium places.

Two-time Grandma's Marathon champion Mary Akor finished 4th in 2:40:00.

Springfield, Minnesota's Sheena Dauer was the top Minnesota finisher, 11th in 2:50:00.

Said Glok (through an interpreter): "The race went well, but the weather was a problem because my arms and my legs got cold. Silvia and I took off together; we ran together until about 12 kilometers left in the race. At about the 8k to-go mark, Silvia started to pull away from me, I started to catch up to her gradually, and with about 600 meters to go I passed her."

The Pioneer Press story on the race is HERE.

Find full results HERE.

Photo by Kevin Coloton/Competitive Image.

No comments: