Saturday, February 23, 2008

Deatherage second, McGregor fourth at USATF Indoor Championships

Jenelle Deatherage and Christin Wurth-Thomas continued their indoor rivalry at the AT&T USATF Indoor Championships in Boston on Saturday with Wurth winning again at 1,500 meters with a time of 4:14.21. Deatherage was second in 4:17.38. Wurth-Thomas had also defeated Deatherage in the mile at last week's Tyson Invitational in Arkansas.

"I feel fantastic but I still have a ways to go," said Wurth-Thomas. "I knew coming here I was strong. Last year I struggled with my confidence. It was a building year. My plan was to just sit and with 1000 to go I wanted to go for it. I had a real good game plan coming into the race." Wurth-Thomas ran the last 800 in 2:08. Her time was the fastest by an American this year.

In the 3K, Team USA Minnesota's Katie McGregor was fourth in 9:03.34, more than eight seconds back from winner Shannon Rowbury, who ran 8:55.19. Duke grad Rowbury was the 2007 NCAA Indoor Mile Champion. In the men's high jump, Minnesota State Mankato grad, Jim Dilling finished fourth, clearing 7' 3.25". 2002 IAAF World Junior Champion Andra Manson won the event with a clearance of 7' 6.5".

Weather problems on the East coast played havoc with the schedule and athlete's travel. Former U of M pole vaulter Tye Harvey did not make it to Boston for the meet. It wasn't known if this was due to the weather or not. Harvey now lives in Arkansas. For full meet results, click here.

No comments: