Friday, October 26, 2007

A Targeted Rombough: " ... I generally handle that type of pressure pretty well."

When the #22 Golden Gopher men compete at Sunday's Big Ten Cross Country Championships in Columbus, Ohio with hopes of upsetting #6 Wisconsin -- the winners of the last eight Big Ten crowns -- and #10 Michigan, they'll be armed with the meet's defending champion, Chris Rombough. Last year, the then-sophomore (pictured) surprised the favorites to earn his first conference title. The Fremont, Wisconsin native went on to finish 2nd at the NCAA Regional meet two weeks later and was and all-American in 14th place at the NCAA Championships.

DtB caught up with the Gopher star to get his sense of things heading to Columbus and the Big Tens.

DtB: Is it different for you going into the Big Tens this year as the defending champ as opposed to the contending sophomore you were last year? Do you like the new role?

Rombough: I think it is a little different going in this year because last year was a surprise win, not only to everybody running, but also to myself. This year I have a target on my back, but at the same time I may be seen as an underdog to guys like Stuart Eagon, Matt Withrow [both of Wisconsin] , and Mike Woods [Michigan]. I do enjoy having a target though, because not only does it mean that I have done something meaningful with my racing, but it also puts some pressure on me to repeat, but I generally handle that type of pressure pretty well.

DtB: What do you need to be mindful of going into Big Tens and the rest of the late-season meets in order to be successful? Is there a different feel to these meets than those early in the season?

Rombough: It is a bit different going in. Last year through 4k I was in about seventh place and the race was pretty strung out. I just made a strong move and got myself into third, right behind Eagon, at the 5k mark. I just need to get out a little faster because, with it being such a flat and fast course [in Columbus], it will be harder to make up ground, if I get behind.

The same goes for Regionals and Nationals, because those courses are also fast and flat. I don't believe that these late season races have a different feel to them. The early season meets I use to show that I can continue what I did the year before and the later races I use to show that I keep continuing to improve.

DtB: I know you're very confident about the success this year's team can have. What is it about the group this year makes you so bullish on the team's chances?

Rombough: This team is made up of a lot of blue-collar runners. We work very hard and we all have a common goal, which is to upset the Badgers at the Big Ten Championship and to get into the top-10 at NCAAs. We have a lot of talented guys, all of which are from either Minnesota or Wisconsin, so I think there is a very tight camaraderie between each guy, and ultimately, I think that helps with being successful.


Additional information ... The Gopher sports information staff has put together THIS preview for Big Tens, which includes a video interview with Rombough and teammate Hassan Mead. There's also a women's preview HERE that includes interviews with coach Gary Wilson, two-time all-American Ladia Albertson-Junkans, and this season's lead-Gopher Jamie Cheever.

Photo courtesy of the U of M.

No comments: