Saturday, March 22, 2014

Results: Gophers, Maggie Ewen, Shawn Francis

The Gopher women competed at the TSU Relays in Houston, TX.  Summary is HERE.  Full results are HERE. The Gopher men were at the Baldy Castillo Invitational in Tempe, AZ.  They had firsts from pole vaulter Zach Siegmeier at 17' 8.5"/5.40m and triple jumper Charles Jordan(51' 2,25"/15.60m).

The U of M men also had three second place finishes:  hammer thrower Jon Lehman(211' 11"/64.56m), Alex Brend(1:51.28) in the 800 meters, and the 4 by 400 relay(3:11:70).   St. Francis grad Maggie Ewen, redshirting at ASU, competed in the shot, discus, and hammer.  She had the longest throw in the shot(50' 6"/15.39m), the fifth longest throw in the disc(175' 6"/53.49), and 15th longest in the hammer(157'7"/64.56).  Full results are HERE

NDSU and Hastings grad Shawn Francis also opened his outdoor season at the meet clearing 16'6.75"/5.05m  He described his day on Instagram:  "I always jump down here at ASU after a few good weeks of training. Honestly, I never feel very good since I hammer on training right after the champs. So I decided to jump from six lefts and I never seemed to get rid of the flat feeling but ended up jumping 5.05m on the biggest pole I've been on from that run---a 4.90 (16 foot)16.8 flex ucs!

"At 5.20m  I thought I'd give the old full approach run a try...dumb Haha. I didn't have a full approach, warm up, or anything and the winds were a changing. So three head winds later and trying to find my step annnnnd the meet was over. 

"So I'm taking the positives, 1. Biggest pole from six lefts and smoked 5.05. 2. Feeling like garbage but jumped pretty well and even went out of my comfort zone trying a full approach under bad circumstances! 3. I'm looking at the positives since I'm as competitive as anyone and hate losing Haha. 4. Reminding myself of the process! I'd rather feel like crap at ASU than at the USA champs in three months" Instagram photo is HERE.


No comments: