Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Catching Up With Melissa Gacek

We asked Melissa Gacek a few questions about her fast Grandma's Marathon last month. Gacek currently leads the Minnesota Runner-of-the-Year standings.


You had the bittersweet luck to run a great race at Grandma's on a"slow" day. Were you more happy with the placing or bummed by just missing the Trials standard?


In light of the way the race went for the very talented competition, I was totally thrilled to a) take 8th overall, b) to help my team score the win, c) to win the money, and d) to get another sub 2:48 effort on the books, especially on a home course on what was said to be a hot day.


I had a lot of fun out there and enjoyed myself at the end, knowing I was probably going to be 1 minute off. I ran the last two miles in celebrationof good health. I knew at the half I was going to need to really nail it toget there, but knew I was feeling good enough to go for it. Towards the20-23 mark, I figured I’d either be the last to hit it or the first to miss.I had some trouble finding my water bottles… took the wrong one early, worried I might ruin someone’s chance to get their fluids…I actually stopped and ran it back, then still couldn’t find mine. (“Hello, this is a race, you don’t just stop.”)


I had to stop at about 4 other stations trying to find mine…I thought someone else took them or knocked them over…That might have attributed to some of my time problems. Guess I need windmills [on the bottles for identification] next time. Ona hot day you need your stuff.


What's next for you? Will you take a shot at the Trials standard again?


Absolutely. I have already applied to several fall races and will confirm adecision once housing arrangements are together. I’m designing a plan for additional leg strength work I want to add to prepare me as much as possible since I don’t do a ton of mileage or doubles. Kelly Mortenson, my coach, is putting together my running program.


You're tied for the lead in the Runner-of-the-Year standings. Is that something you'd like to win?


That would be outstanding.


You're a busy person with a career, a daughter, and a competitive running career. How do you make that all work?


I have a lot of help, and although I like to cook, we eat out a lot. Baby joggers, baby sitters, my husband and his family is awesome and nearby to help. My parents like to come up for big races if we ask. Training partners are a big help. I rely on Gloria Jansen, Kelly & Jim Ramacier and Staci Bennett to get me out the door by 5/5:30/6 am.

No comments: