Thursday, July 19, 2007

Jenna Boren, 7th at Grandma's, Looks Ahead to the New York City Marathon

We got in touch with Jenna Boren recently. The TC Running Company affiliated star continued her streak of fast marathons with a seventh place finish at Grandma's last month, despite nursing an injury coming into the race.

With her ticket to the 2008 Olympic Marathon Trials already in hand, Boren (pictured, winning the 2007 Human Race) now sets her sights on the New York City Marathon in November.

Here's DtB's exclusive interview ...

DtB: Unlike a lot of Minnesota women in the race at Grandma's, you had an Olympic Trails qualifying time already. Did that make it easier to see the positives in a non-PR race on a tough day weather-wise?

Boren: I think I was plain lucky at Grandmas this year. I had a few things to take the pressure off of me to run a PR. I had been injured and knew I wasn't in the best shape so I started out slow which probably saved me "in the long run" -- pun intended!

If I was trying to get a PR or qualify, I am sure I would have blown up. So, I think I was fortunate. I was just happy to finish in the 2:40s but bummed because I know a couple of my friends would have qualified if it was a better day!

DtB: How did the race play out for you?

Boren: I started out slower than I typically would. I let most of the women go early on and it was actually pretty relaxing because I wasn't worried about splits. I ran most of the race with Adam Lindahl (owner of TC Running Company) and he is a very entertaining guy. I spent quite a few miles laughing at him! I had no idea what place I was in so I just pretended I was in 10th place and had to hold on. I knew I couldn't catch the girl ahead of me but wanted to save enough energy in case someone came up on me. About an hour after the race, someone told me I was 7th which was a nice surprise!

DtB: What do you have planned between now and the Trails in Boston? A fall marathon?

Boren: I plan to run New York. When I got injured this spring, I decided to focus on later in the year to help me stay positive! New York is offering travel, hotel to the B standard qualifiers. I certainly didn't expect this offer but figure I should make use of it while I can! I can't imagine this opportunity will come again! To be in New York and watch the men [run their Olympic Trials] and then run a competitive marathon will be SO exciting!

DtB: Has it been a difficult adjustment for your training now that you're in professional practice as a chiropractor?

Boren: It can certainly be stressful because owning a start-up business makes me think I lost my mind somewhere in the past couple of years. however, my life right now is my job and running. I live very selfishly! I can run at 10 pm or 5 am. i am impressed at people who do it with a family. It is motivating for me to know many people who balance much, much more!

Photo by Pete Miller.

No comments: