Monday, October 10, 2011

McGregor takes second in Tufts 10K, USA Circuit; Gray helps US Ekiden team to eighth place finish

Team USA Minnesota’s Katie McGregor finished second in the Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women in Boston on Monday, which was also the USA Women’s 10K Championship. McGregor's time was 33:16, 29 seconds behind winner Janet Cherobon-Bawcom.

Her runner-up points also secured second place in the 2011 USA Running Circuit standings for women in which McGregor was the defending champion. In addition to the 10K results, this year she was fourth at the USA Half Marathon Championships, sixth at the USA 15k Championships, third at the USA 20k Championships and fourth at the USA 10-Mile Championships.

McGregor's Team USA Minnesota teammate, Emily Brown was in the lead pack early, but had an asthma attack and stepped off the course after two miles. Minnesotan Ladia Albertson-Junkanswas 14th in 35:00.6), and former University of Minnesota standout, Megan Duwell, placed 21st in 35:46.6, on an unseasonably warm 80 degree day.

“It was hot out there and the first couple of miles were a little crazy,” said McGregor. “I was in fourth place for awhile and just decided to hold my pace and maintain my position. Although I would have liked to have gotten the win, I will take second place today. Every single race you have to come out and be ready to go given the quality of the fields at the championships.

“I always enjoy running at Tufts because it is one of my favorite races with all the women. I did not have the best year on the USA Running Circuit in that I didn’t win any of the championships like I did in 2010, so I’m glad to end up second in the standings. Now it’s on to 2012.”

Izumo Ekiden – Oct. 10
New Team USA Minnesota member Jon Grey ran the anchor leg for the USA University Select Team at the Izumo Ekiden in Japan on Monday. His time for the 10.2K distance was 30:15. The Ekiden consisted of six stages covering 44.6k with the final leg being the longest. The US team finished eighth.

No comments: