Monday, October 24, 2011

Kara Goucher to Train with Schumacher

Duluth native Kara Goucher, who left long-time coach Alberto Salazar earlier this fall, will be trained by former University of Wisconsin coach Jerry Schumacher, the 2008 Olympian announced via her blog last night.

"I am honored and excited to have been welcomed by Jerry Schumacher to join his group of the OTC Elite," Goucher said HERE. "I feel so lucky to be able to train under an incredible coach and alongside two of the best female runners the US has ever produced."

Goucher (pictured), the bronze medalist at 10,000-meters at the IAAF World Track and Field Championships in 2007, will join marathon rival Shalane Flanagan in Schumacher's stable of elite athletes, which also includes Lisa (Koll) Uhl and male runners Chris Solinsky and Matt Tegenkamp.

In her blog post, Goucher also expressed her thanks to former coach Salazar had given her during their partnership.

"I have had my best years under Alberto and after 7 years together he certainly knows me better as an athlete than anyone besides my husband," she said. "I have blossomed under him, going from an often injured nobody to a World Championship bronze medalist and Major Marathon podium finisher. To say that Alberto has helped me find myself and my career would be a massive understatement. He has forever changed my life and I feel eternal gratitude toward him."

Goucher is pointing toward the U.S. Olympic Trials Marathon, to be held in January in Houston.

Photo by Sean Hartnett.

No comments: