Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Bounced: 45-7 1/4 Lands Marks 18th in Prelims

Four-time USA triple jump champion Shani Marks finished tied for 18th with a leap of 45-7 1/4 in triple jump qualifying at the IAAF World Track and Field Championships.

The mark did not qualify the former Apple Valley and U of M star for the finals of the event.

Marks needed to better 46-7 1/4 -- the 12th and final qualifying mark -- to gain access to finals in the event on Friday.

"It was a fun one," Marks told USATF media staff. "I didn't jump as well as I wanted to. I learned I have to be ready to jump in the first three rounds. I'm used to getting six. This was good preparation for next year."

In her GopherSports blog, Marks went a little further.

"I actually felt great while I was jumping, but am so used to getting six jumps that I just couldn’t put one out there in the first three in order to make the final. I competed against the very best and the competition was tough. Very tough. But the fact is that I had a very successful year and I learned a lot so I am ready to rest and then get ready to work hard for next year when it all really counts."

Marks opened prelims with a 45-4 1/2 leap; she jumped 44-3 1/2 on her second attempt before landing her best mark on her final attempt.

With the result, participation by Minnesota athletes in Osaka ends. Duluth native Kara Goucher headlined the meet for the state with her surprise bronze medal finish in the women's 10,000 meters. Team USA Minnesota's Katie McGregor finished 13th in the event as well. Minnesota State Mankato alum Jim Dilling finished 32nd overall in high jump qualifying.

Former Team USA Minnesota athlete Dana Coons, now based in Vienna, Virginia, competes in the marathon on September 2.

No comments: