Wednesday, February 13, 2013

MIAC Athletes of the Week/Spotlight

Christian Willman, HamlineHamline  senior Christian Willman (Rosemount, MN) lit up Saturday's 'Meet of the Hearts' at Carleton College. Willman won the 600 in impressive fashion, breaking Hamline's school record as well as the Knights' fieldhouse record while turning in the top time in the MIAC this season, 1:22.67. For his record breaking performance, Willman was named the MIAC Men's Indoor Track Athlete-of-the-Week.
 
His winning effort not only re-wrote the record books, but it also helped Hamline amass 179 team points to finish first in the four-team field. He had company, though as less than .4 seconds separating the top three finisherss.  Prior to Saturday's race, no MIAC runner had broken 1:23 in the 600 in 2013.
 
Willman and his Piper teammates have two more competitions on the indoor schedule to prepare for the 2013 MIAC Indoor Track and Field Championships, which will be hosted by St. Olaf on February 28 to March 2. This weekend they'll travel to the site of the MIAC meet, with a noon start at St. Olaf on Saturday, and next Friday, Feb. 22, Hamline will be in the field at the Macalester Pre-Conference Meet. That event is scheduled for a 5 PM start.
 

Erik Olson, ConcordiaConcordia senior Erik Olson (Buffalo, MN) rose to new heights over the weekend against Division I competitors at the North Dakota State Bison Open in Fargo, ND. Olson was  seventh in the pole vault, breaking the Cobbers' school record for the second time this season, and finishing behind six Division I vaulters. For his record breaking performance of 4.58m/15' .25" Olson was named the MIAC Men's Indoor Field Athlete-of-the-Week.
 
This new historic performance came just two weeks after Olson cleared 15 feet even to break a 30-year old school record. Olson's performance tied for second among all MIAC men's pole vaulters behind Gustavus' Josh Owens, who has cleared 4.91m.
 
The Cobbers and Olson have two more competitions on the indoor schedule to prepare for the 2013 MIAC Indoor Track and Field Championships. This weekend they'll travel to Collegeville as one of four teams in the Saint John's Quadrangular meet, which begins Saturday at 11:30 AM. Next Friday, February 22, Concordia will participate in the Ole Qualifier in Northfield at 5 PM.
 


Erin Statz, St. ThomasSt. Thomas junior  Erin Statz (Lincoln, NB./Pius X) finished second in the 5,000-meter run, recording a PR of 17:10.72,  a time that ranks in the top 10 for NCAA Division III this season. For her performance, Statz was named the MIAC Women's Indoor Track Athlete-of-the-Week.
 
Statz finished second behind teammate Taylor Berg, who won in 17:00.90. The dynamic duo took traded the lead until the final laps, as they pushed the pace in an attempt to achieve national qualifying times. Statz, who was an All-American in cross country in the fall,  has the second fastest time in the MIAC this season behind Berg, and  ranks seventh in NCAA Division III..
 
St. Thomas and Statz have two more competitions on the indoor schedule to prepare for the 2013 MIAC Indoor Track and Field Championships. This weekend they'll compete in Saturday's U of M Parent's Day Open, hosted by the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis at 10 AM. Next Friday, Feb. 22, the Tommies will participate in the Ole Qualifier in Northfield at 5 p.m.
 

Shawny Kramer, Hamline
Hamline sophomore thrower Shawny Kramer (Watkins, MN./Eden Valley-Watkins) won the weight throw Saturday at Carleton's 'Meet of the Hearts" setting a new personal record by more than a meter of 17.59m/ 57' 8.5" . This puts her at the top of the MIAC performance list, and in the top three in  NCAA Division III. For her performance, Kramer was named the MIAC Women's Indoor Field Athlete-of-the-Week.
 
Kramer's throw is the second-best mark in Hamline school history, and it ranks first in the MIAC by more than seven feet, and is the top throw by a sophomore in the nation in 2013.
 
Kramer and the Pipers have two more competitions on the indoor schedule to prepare for the 2013 MIAC Indoor Track and Field Championships. This weekend they'll compete in Saturday's U of M Parent's Day Open.  Next Friday, February 22, Hamline will be in the field at the Macalester Pre-Conference Meet.  


MIAC Spotlight Athletes
Seth Lage, Concordia College Moorhead
Senior, Football and Track
Pelican Rapids, MN/ Pelican Rapids
Major: Exercise Science, Minor: coaching
 
Why did you choose to be a Division III student-athlete? 
I wanted to have a good education and stay focused about my academics while being able to compete in sports.
 
How do you hope your combined academic and athletic college experience will help you as you pursue future endeavors?
Knowing that all the little things you are the building blocks to greatness.
 
If you could meet any athlete, who would it be and what one question would you ask them? 
Adrian Peterson, how much time did you spend in the off season to become who you are today?
 
What is your greatest sports moment?
Scoring a kickoff return for a touchdown for the Cobbers my senior year, on my first kickoff return.
 
Do you have any pregame/pre-event rituals? If so, what are they?
Gatorade and a candy bar while listening to music
 
What is something that most people do not know about you?
I was hit by a cow at the fair during the summer when I was about 10. I hit my head on the cement. I was knocked out for like five minutes. I could have been blind if I would have hit my head again within a couple weeks.

 
Megan Smith, College of Saint Benedict
Senior, Women’s Cross Country and Track and Field
Lakeville, MN/ Lakeville North
Major: Biology, Minor: Spanish
 
Why did you choose to be a Division III student-athlete? 
 Being a division III athlete allows me to have the best of both worlds. My academics don’t take a back seat to my athletic career. I devote myself to training and competing because I’m passionate about running, not because I have to maintain a scholarship. Competing at the collegiate level is a unique and challenging experience; It’s something I would have missed out on had I chosen a division I school.
 
What has been the greatest part of your collegiate athletic career thus far? 
My team has become my family; we push each other, we struggle together and we triumph together. Everyone is supportive and truly wants the best for one another. My favorite college memories are and will always be with those teammates.
 
What is the greatest lesson you have learned from being a student-athlete? 
Patience. Like running, you’re going to work tirelessly at something, and still finish unsatisfied or disappointed. Things are going to go wrong. But I’ve learned to be patient, work on things I can change and let go of the things I can’t. I’ve learned that success requires dedication, pushing your limits and having faith. Then its patience; one day that amazing race is going to happen and all the work and time you put in will be worth it.
 
What is your most embarrassing sports moment?
Falling over a steeple barrier that wasn’t even the water barrier. It took a few seconds before I registered what happened and got back up. Luckily, very few people saw so it was only embarrassing to me.
 
If you have been involved in community service projects, which project has been the most rewarding and why? 
I worked at an orphanage for young children while I was studying abroad in Chile. I truly felt like I made a difference after just a few months there, providing mental stimulation and a positive role model for the children, something they otherwise lacked. These kids will never experience the childhood I was fortunate enough to have, but if I could make them smile or giggle, I know I improved their day even for just that minute.


No comments: