Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Jamie Cheever Talks About Steeple Semis

Team USA Minnesota runner and former Gopher Jamie Cheever qualified for the final of the women's 3,000 meter steeplechase at the US Olympic Trials on Monday. Below she talks about the semi-finals.

Down the Backstretch: You set a PR to qualify. Did you expect to run that fast?

Jamie Cheever: I knew I would have to run around my PR to qualify for finals. Everyone is ready to go at the Trials, so I knew I'd have to be ready to push hard in prelims. Going into the race, I wasn't too worried about time, but I was hoping to be in the top five in my heat, in order to automatically advance. I was in fifth place with two laps to go, but got passed the last 200m. Thankfully, I got in on time, but I was hoping I'd be ready to be in the top five.

DtB: How did the race unfold for you?

JC: I tried to stay relaxed during the first three and a half laps of the race. I knew everyone would be in the mix for the first half of the race, so I hung out in about seventh or eighth position. As soon as the pack started to string out, I did my best to follow the lead pack. I was able to stay pretty close, but lost contact the last couple laps. When I got passed by the fifth place finisher with 200m to go, I knew I needed to stay on my feet over the last two barriers, and really push myself so I'd be able to get in on time.

DtB: Did you know what time you had to hit to qualify for the final or did you just race it and hope for the best?

JC: I did take a quick look at the results of he first heat to see where I'd have to be, if I wasn't in the top five. I had also taken a look to see where the pack was with two laps to go in the first heat. In my heat, I was at about the same time, so I knew I was running about the same pace as the front pack in the first heat. I tried not be too worried, but it was good to know I had to run fast or I'd be out! Photo by Becky Miller

No comments: