Monday, July 11, 2011

Liz Podominick Provides An Update

Former Gopher star Liz Podominick threw herelf into contention for a spot on the 2012 US Olympic team with a sixth place finish in the discus at the USATF Championships in Eugene. Below the US team manager for the US Figure Skating team tells how she got that job and how her spins resulted in a new personal best at the USATF meet.

Down the Backstretch: How do you feel about the results at the USATF Championships? You got a big one on the first throw, then couldn’t catch another one. Where you trying for a really big throw on the final throws?

Liz Podominick: My goal this year was to qualify for USA's and make the finals--top eight. Considering that I was ranked thirteenth going into the competition and placed sixth, I am very happy with the results and surprised a lot of people.

I found out when I checked in for the event that they had split the prelims into two flights, originally posted as one flight of 16, and I was the first thrower in the first flight. I used that as an opportunity to put a mark out that others in my flight would have to chase.

My first throw was very relaxed and then I really went after it on my next throws. I had a throw that looked farther in the finals, but I my toe barely landed on the rim while I was reversing, so it was a scratch. I am very proud of how I competed and handled the pressure. While my marks were not consistent, some slight adjustments could have produced some even bigger throws.

DtB: While there are post-graduate programs in Minnesota for middle and distance runners, there is not a lot for the throwers. How do you keep it going now that you don’t have the regular competition and other benefits of the university system? Do you get a chance to train outside of MN? Have thoughts of doing something like that in the build up to 2012?


LP: I received some great advice from Kris Kuehl when I was making my decision to continue competing. After college I felt like I had not reached anywhere near my potential. Therefore, every year I ask myself three questions that Kris recommended:
1. Do I feel like I can get better?
2. Do I still feel healthy enough to throw?
3. Do I still have fun throwing? (the most important question:)

If I can answer yes to all three, then I say why not keep training? I will not be able to compete at this level later in life, so I want to take advantage of this gift.

I have to be very proactive in my training and competition schedule. I make sure to check all the local college/universities' websites in Colorado--where I am currently training--for meets and have to travel out of the state more often. It is a bigger investment and since I have to spend my own money, I am dilligent on making every practice and competition count. I have developed a great support network out here in Colorado, and the local coaches look out for me by letting me compete at their meets.

DtB: Hasn’t been much written about you since 2008. You went to graduate school. What else have you been doing? Fill us in a bit on what the last few years have been like?

LP: I definitely laid low for a while. When I was finishing up my classes for my masters in December 2008, my younger brother, age 21, passed away unexpectedly in his sleep. That was something that my family and I never expected to go through and we went through a period of healing.

I dropped a lot of weight, almost 30 pounds, because I was not training and just needed time to spend with my family. My family was close, but it was taken to another level after my brother's death. I learned a lot about myself and the inner strength God provides.

That spring, I worked a part-time job while coaching and training with my high school coach, Rick Ringeisen. Coaching really helped me remember my love for throwing and lit that spark inside to throw again.

I competed in some local meets and just got back into throwing, without any expectations. After some time I also realized that I needed to make a change, so I interned for US Figure Skating in Colorado Springs through the USOC intern program and was hired by US Figure Skating last June.

I was home in Minnesota briefy for the spring last year before being hired, and barely missed qualifying for USA's. It was a huge disappointment, but ulitmately the best thing that ever happened to me. It made me more serious about my training and pushed me to make a change.

I started training with the Air Force throws coach, Scott Irving, last summer after I convinced him I was serious about throwing, and throughout the past year I have discovered an amazing network of throwers training in Colorado. Dana Pounds-Lyon (also trains with Scott Irving in the javelin) has been a great training partner and motivator, and I also drive up to Fort Collins to throw with Casey Malone, Brian Trainor, Drew Loftin, and Loree Smith whenever I can.

My job gives me access to the the OTC(Olympic Training Center) weight room, and I am the strongest I have ever been. Still working on getting stronger while also being lighter and quicker than in college. Scott had done a wonderful job of helping me believe in my abilities, and I feel so blessed to be out here in Colorado Springs. It's funny how God's timing works out, and I know my brother is watching and still my biggest cheerleader.

DtB: You’re close to the Olympic B qualifying standard in the disc. What are your thoughts on 2012, Olympic Trials and beyond?

LP: I feel like I have so much left in me to go somewhere with throwing. My next goal is to get the A standard, which is definitely in my reach.

I was not on anyone's radar before this year and I know I turned a lot of heads at USA's. There is so much I can improve on technically while also increasing my strength levels, and time will be my best friend.

There is so much that I can do in a year, and I want to do everything in my control to give myself a shot. I am in the process of determining how I am going to get those extra six meters to give myself a chance to make the Olympic Team, but I know it is in my reach.

It's not easy working full time and training at this level, so I will have to make some changes very soon to really focus on my training leading up to the Trials.

DtB: Stephanie Brown-Trafton surprised a lot of people by winning the Olympic gold medal in Beijing. Was that inspirational for you? Did it provide some motivation?

LP: Of course! I actually met Stephanie at a meet this year and she was so humble and nice. When I went to a meet in Tucson this spring, I had the opportunity to work an hour with Mac Wilkins on some discus drills (thanks for Stephanie's urging).

She did a few of the drills, but was mostly there to provide some imput, and she acutally ended up sweeping the floors so that we could do the drills. Mac kept joking that this is what a gold medal gets you--the opportunity to sweep the floors for developing discuss throwers.

There is a reason that the competition happens. It does not matter what other people have thrown in the past, it only matters what you can do that day against your competition. Stephanie proved that in 2008, and shows that faith can accomplish anything.


DtB: Emily Brown talks about how she really wanted to be a basketball player, but her skills were in running. Any thoughts on basketball in the future for you?


LP: I am chuckling a bit here. I gave up playing basketball for a reason! I still enjoy playing for fun with the USOC employees during lunch, but that chapter of my life is over, and I'll stick with the disc. Plus, I don't think my body could not handle it anymore--I am getting old!

Photo by Becky Miller.

No comments: