Monday, September 13, 2010

Moen, Frey Win in Fall Marathon Tune-Ups

Team USA Minnesota's Josh Moen and Michelle Frey won titles at the City of Lakes 25K on Sunday with performances that bode well for their marathon plans later in the fall.

Moen won the City of Lakes men's title in 1:18:59 over runner-up Donovan Fellows who clocked 1:20:34. Chris Lundstrom finished third in 1:22:03. Moen's performance established a Minnesota single-age record for 28-year-olds.

Moen is scheduled to run the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon, which this year serves as the USA Marathon Championship for men.

"This was a workout for me," Moen, who averaged a 5:05 pace for the 15.5 mile distance, said. "For the most part, I felt comfortable throughout the race. It was good preparation for Twin Cities."

Frey also plans a marathon this fall, although she hasn't chosen which one yet. Team USA Minnesota president Pat Goodwin told DtB, however, that Frey will not race at Twin Cities, Chicago, or New York.

Frey clocked 1:31:16 for the distance, tipping Jenna Boren who ran 1:31:52. Frey's time established a state record for 28-year-olds; Boren's set a new standard for 33-year-olds.

"I was trying to do a progressive run and I was ahead of pace the entire time," Frey explained. "I'm in the middle of training for a fall marathon so this was a 100-mile week for me. The only day I ran easy was the day before the race. I didn't really back off. My long runs have been going really well and this race is encouraging for how my training is going."

Find complete City of Lakes women's results HERE.

Find complete City of Lakes men's results HERE.

There's a great Wayne Kryduba slide show from the race HERE.

No comments: