Saturday, August 23, 2008

Goucher Might Marathon at NYC This Fall,
Prepare for Her New Event at TC-10 Mile

On the day after she finished 9th in the Olympic 5000 meter final, the recurring theme of today's Kara Goucher coverage is the marathon.

Her coach, marathon great Alberto Salazar, told the Eugene Register-Guard, HERE:

"I think she can be a real force there. She could be the class of the marathon that way (Meseret) Defar and Dibaba are in the 5 and the 10."

The Portland Oregonian gets to the topic too, HERE, and has more to say about Goucher's pre-race sinus infection.

""Tuesday I felt awful. Wednesday, I was in bed all day but my body never ached, it was all in my head," she told the paper.

The Duluth News-Tribune's Kevin Pates has the juiciest marathon nuggets, however, HERE.

He reports that it is "likely she’ll make her debut November 2 in the New York City Marathon..." He also says Goucher's tune-up for NYC will be either the Great North Run in Great Britain -- where she beat Paula Radcliffe last year -- or the Medtronic TC 10 Mile, this year's USA Championship for women for the distance.

Pates quotes Goucher (pictured) from earlier in the summer saying:

“I would love to run a marathon this year, but in order to do that, I would have to be satisfied with the end of my track season at the Olympics. To do a fall marathon, I would have to come home and train, no more racing. I’ve had my eyes set on New York for a long time and would love to run there this year or next.”

Photo by Paul Merca.

No comments: