Monday, June 16, 2008

Roehrig is NCAA Heptathlon Runner-Up

University of Minnesota junior Liz Roehrig highlighted Saturday's final day of competition at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships with a runner-up finish in the heptathlon. The four-time all-American and six-time Big Ten Champion scored 5811 points in the two-day competition.

Arizona State's Jacquelyn Johnson won her fourth straight NCAA heptathlon title with 6053 points.

Roehrig (pictured), who lost the bulk of last year's outdoor season to an ankle injury, was pleased with how things ended up this year.

"I’m excited with my finish," she said in a Gopher media release. "It was something I knew I could do and I didn’t even have an amazing meet. I came in and did what I could and I’m happy with how it turned out."

Roehrig had special praise for her rival Johnson.

“Johnson is such an amazing athlete,” Roehrig said. “I love competing with her and against her. She pushes everything to the max. I look forward to competing against her again at the Trials."

Roehrig's performance was the bright spot for the Gopher women. The team did amass a program-record 15 points at the championship -- good for 13th place -- but had no doubt hoped for more. Half-miler Heather Dorniden had the worst finish of her NCAA career with a fifth-place, 2:05.86 run in the 800m. Javelin thrower Ruby Radocaj, who entered the meet as the #3 seed, finished 6th with a throw of 172-0.

In other action, Winona High School alum Garrett Heath of Stanford finished 6th in the 1500m in 3:43.15. Mounds View alum Nate Englin finished 10th in the shot put with 57-9.

Full meet results can be found HERE.

No comments: