Friday, February 09, 2007

Renewed Kara Goucher Returns to Old Home

Duluth native Kara Goucher returns to her collegiate stomping ground of Boulder, Colorado tomorrow for the USA Cross Country Championships. Coming off a 2006 campaign that redeemed and redefined her career, Goucher, who trains in Oregon with Alberto Salazar nowadays, seems poised for even bigger and better things.

Goucher, who will be profiled in the March-April issue of Minnesota Running & Track by Kate Davis, has trained more consistently in the past year than in a very long time. (Full disclosure: I edit MnR&T for USATF-Minnesota.)

“My training is going great,” Goucher told Davis. “…It's strange because usually I am cross-training in November through February or March, and then I am rushing to get ready for track. This year I have just been running, no rush. I am totally healthy and have been running the most miles I ever have in my entire career. It's been great.”

“The biggest part of 2006 was just my consistency in training,” Goucher added. “After World Cross Country I never had to take a break. I had no injuries whatsoever. And Alberto was really pushing me in my workouts. I was just training consistently, very hard, and my confidence was growing.”

Additional information on Goucher (and her husband Adam) can be found here, and here

No comments: