Monday, February 26, 2007

National Champion Shani Marks: "Winning is a nice bonus at the end."

Not to be lost amidst all the weekend's Big Ten hoopla is Shani Marks victory in the triple jump at the USA Indoor Championships. The University of Minnesota and Apple Valley High School grad jumped 44-6 earn a companion win to her 2006 USA Outdoor title.

Marks, who competes unattached, edged defending champ Tiombe Hurd who hopped, stepped, and jumped 43-11 1/4. Marks' winning leap was just short of her indoor PR of 44-9 1/2 set at the USA Indoor meet in 2005.

"I felt relaxed and I had fun," Marks said. "The jump was good for where I am at right now in my training. My goal is never to win, it's just to jump better every time. Winning is a nice bonus at the end."

Photo courtesy of the U of M.

No comments: