Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Deatherage Calls it a Racing Career

We heard via the grapevine recently that middle distance star Jenelle Deatherage had retired from competitive running.

The University of Wisconsin alum, who was affiliated with Team USA Minnesota before leaving the program to be coached by Juli Henner, made the decision to call it a career early this summer.

She leaves the sport with a 4:07.87 PR for 1500m, a Big Ten 3000m title, and a runner-up finish at 1500m at the 2008 USA Indoor Championships, which earned her a spot on the USA team at the World Indoor Championships.

Before Deatherage (pictured) moved on to bigger and better things, we spoke with her about her racing career and her future.

DtB: We understand you’ve retired from competitive track and field. When did you make the decision and what prompted you to make it when you did?

Deatherage: I made the decision at the beginning of June. I just sort of knew that it was the right time, there's no other way to say it. Retirement just sounded good to me I guess. What's not to love? I've already started golf lessons.

DtB: Remind us of what the last few seasons were like for you?

Deatherage: I was very happy with my '08 season. I made the World Indoor team and tied my personal best in the 1500m. The Olympic trials were definitely a struggle for reasons I'll never understand however, I'm not going to let that weekend ruin my good memories of the rest of the year.

DtB: Were there other times over the past few years when you considered retirement?

I considered not coming back after the Trials last summer but I'm glad that I gave it one more go to really make sure that I was ready to be done.

DtB: How long have you been running competitively? Tell us a bit about how you got your start.

Deatherage: I've been running since I was about 10 years old but competitively I would say since college. I got started by going to watch my dad run road races. I remember being fascinated by the metallic blanket he was given after the Chicago Marathon.

He helped me "train" for my first 5k by running a one mile loop near our house. I remember the feeling I had after finishing the race and winning my trophy. I was hooked after that. I was also never really good at anything else, except for school. Ask my sisters, they had to teach me how to shoot a basketball when I was 20.

DtB: When during you collegiate career at Wisconsin did you know you wanted to keep running as a professional?

Deatherage: It wasn't until after my senior indoor season and more so after the outdoor season, that I really considered training beyond college. I had some significant breakthroughs that year.

DtB: What are some of the challenges of professional racing that, say, former high school or collegiate runners or adult recreation runners might not realize?

Deatherage: I think that the challenges are different for everyone. My personal challenge was managing my stress and anxiety during competition and even during training. I could handle the details, sleeping and eating right, taking care of my body. I just struggled with getting control of my head. My one regret is that I didn't start working with a sports psychologist until late in my career.

DtB: Now that you’ve put a punctuation mark to your career, what would are you remembering as the high points of it?

Deatherage: I was really excited to sign my first contract with Reebok. Having a shoe contract and becoming a professional runner were important goals for me. I also have some amazing memories from my collegiate running days. There's nothing better than winning a Big 10 outdoor track title by 1 point! Even some of the low points I now see as high points for what I've learned from them and how they've helped shape me as a person.

DtB: What next for you, career-wise and for your life in general? You’re a physical therapist, right?

Deatherage: Yes, I'm a Physical Therapist. I've worked for the Institute for Athletic Medicine since we came to the Twin Cities in 2004. I'm very excited that I will be moving to our Edina clinic in September on a permanent basis. I love working with runners of all ages and abilities and I'm thrilled that I will be able to finally make this a focus in my career.

The IAM clinic in Edina already has two amazing running therapists, Claudia and Heather. I'm looking forward to learning from them and working together as a team to help keep this TC running community injury free!

DtB: Do you plan to continue running recreationally?

Deatherage: Yes for sure. I'm considering a spring marathon but only if I'm truly motivated by then to get in the training. Right now I'm enjoying running as fast and far as I want to and some days not at all....

Photo by Victor Sailer/Photo Run.

No comments: