Monday, March 03, 2014

Heather Kampf Will Compete in Worlds

By virtue of her third place finish at the US indoor championships, Team USA Minnesota's Heather Kampf was the first alternate on the US team for the women's 1500.  Mary Cain has withdrawn from the championships because of an injury, so Heather is now on her way to Sopot, Poland for the IAAF Indoor Championships.  Cain's statement and Kampf's response to the opportunity are HERE. Article Kampf's trip to Poland HERE.
 
Kampf had just finished her run this morning on a treadmill at the Life Time Fitness Highland Park Club when she got the call. “My teammates Jon Grey and Ben Sathre were also at Life Time and they were the first ones I told,” said Kampf.  “I am really excited to be named to the US team.  Things work out in mysterious ways.  My ultimate goal is to make the final in the 1500 meters.”





Heather also posted this photo on Twitter: "I just told Ricky I am going to Poland. As I am jumping around, this was his reaction. Apparently he prefers me home."  Dennis Barker, team USA Minnesota coach also welcomes the news, but reports from Poland: "The good news: I made it to Sopot. The bad news: my luggage didn't."  Hopefully the trip will go smoother for Kampf.

 The preliminary heats for the women’s 1500 meters and 3000 meters(where her team USA Minnesota teammate Gabe Grunewald will compete) will be held at Sopot’s Ergo Arena on Friday, March 7.  The final of the women’s 1500 will be on Saturday, March 8, and the final of the 3000 will be on Sunday, March 9.

No comments: