Tuesday, August 30, 2011

No Triple Jump Finals for Amanda Smock


USA triple jump champion Amanda Smock did not qualify for finals in her event at the World Track and Field Championships in Daegu, South Korea last night. The Melrose native jumped 44-2 3/4 to finish 17th in her qualifying flight and 31st overall.

Smock (pictured) needed to better 46-5 1/4 in order to advance, a mark just short of her personal best of 46-6 1/4

After fouling her opening attempt, Smock marked the 44-2 3/4, and ended her competition with a 43-10 1/2.

“Unfortunately, I just wasn’t able to put it together which was obviously very frustrating to me," Smock told USA Track and Field afterward. "But I felt physically like I was ready to get a big jump in there, but it just didn’t happen for me today. I haven’t had a ton of time to hash it over yet, but right now at this point I am just a little bit mystified by it all."

Smock only made her first USA team after marking the IAAF "B" qualifying standard late in the summer.

"It was a great feeling to make the team, when I wasn’t expecting to just a few months ago," she said. "I have a lot to take away from it all as an experience.”

Two-time defending world champion Yargeris Savigne of Cuba was the top qualifier with a 47-11 3/4.

Find complete results of the event HERE.

Photo by Randy Miyazaki/TrackandFieldPhoto.com

No comments: