Thursday, August 04, 2011

Heather Kampf Talks About Europe

Former Gopher star middle distance runner Heather (Dorniden) Kampf just finished her second Euro summer track tour. It was a success with PR's in both the 800 and 1,500 meters, and some wins to go along with the fast times. Below she talks about the tour, what she'll be doing the rest of 2011, and what her goals are for 2012, an Olympic year with the London Games less than a year away.

Minnesota Mile

Down the Backstretch
: You had two wins, two PRs during your tour of Europe. What were the goals going into the trip? Were you satisfied with the results?

Heather Kampf: Basically the goal in Europe is to get in fast races, and run fast in them. I was really happy to drop so much time in the 1500 to show my versatility a bit, but I was even more excited about dropping my 800 PR down, as it has been since 2007 that I set an outdoor 800 PR. This was a big step in the right direction, and better-yet, I felt fantastic doing it! Of course winning was a positive experience too, but it wasn't necessarily the primary goal going into the trip.

DtB: You’re now very close to the two minute mark in the 800. How significant is breaking that barrier for you? High priority, down the list, take it if it comes, but place is more important?

HK: This is, and has been for quite some time now, a big goal of mine. I ran 2:01.05 in college, and thought that the 2:00, and sub-2 minute times would happen as quickly and naturally as the rest. Well, it has been 5 years, and I finally got halfway there, running 2:00.41. I'm hoping this breakthrough means I am on the verge of breaking 2 minutes sooner rather than later! Placing in big meets is still important, but to really legitimize myself as an 800 runner in this country, I need to break 2!

DtB: This was your second Europe season, was it better than last year? Did last year’s experience help you this year?

HK: Absolutely. I can't even begin to say how valuable my experiences were from last year to prepare me for Europe this season. I felt more comfortable, a little more like a seasoned veteran out there. I knew more about what I need to pack, what to expect while traveling from meet to meet, and the general logistics of track meets there.

DtB: Any memorable moments from this year’s trip either on or off the track?

HK: I would have to say winning my first race as a professional, and then winning my second back-to-back was a fun and exciting memory for me. Finishing first in any race is such a morale and confidence booster, I think that experience acted as a springboard to bring me to my new PRs in the 1500 and 800 later on in the trip.

Another funny memory: in Nuoro, Italy, I was pacing around at the starting line, waiting for the starter to call us to the line. In mid stance, facing the opposite direction to the way I would soon be running, I glanced over and realized all the other competitors were in set position on the line! I must not have noticed the starter say "On Your Marks", given that it was in Italian, ha! They waited patiently for me to quickly turn around and toe the line too, and then the race was started!

DtB: Are you going to run cross country this year or train through and prepare for indoor track? Or do road races instead to break up the training?

HK: Oh wow, cross country? No, I am not sure when/if I will ever get back into that! This fall I am planning on running a few road miles to switch things up a bit and have some fun. Road miles are my favorite type of event to compete at. They are generally straight, downhill, and fast without the same pressure that seems to be associated with track events.

I plan on running the Minnesota Mile in Duluth on September 11, the Front Street Mile in Hawaii on the September 17(which just so happens to be the date of my first year anniversary with my husband, Ben, so we are flying out together to make a whole trip of it!), and then the 5th Ave Mile in New York City to close the season on September 24.

DtB: What are your goals for the Olympic year?

HK: Going into next year, in some ways I want to approach it like ay other year: my aim is always to run well, stay healthy, and improve on my personal best times. I know I need to remain calm and not focus on it too much, or my head will interfere with my body!

I also obviously dream about making the team, so we will be adjusting my schedule of racing, putting much less of an emphasis on indoors in order to prepare well for my outdoor season leading up to the trials. My realistic goal is to make the trials final, my stretch goal is to be wearing red, white, and blue in London!

No comments: