Wednesday, November 10, 2010

McGregor Targets Marathon Trials in 2012

At this time next year, Team USA Minnesota's Katie McGregor, the 2010 USA Running Circuit champion and the 11th-place finisher at Sunday's ING New York City Marathon, will be setting her sights on the USA Olympic Marathon Trials.

The Ohio native, who notched a PR 2:31:01 at NYC, plans to race the Marathon Trials, set for January 2012 in Houston, Texas, as well as the USA Track and Field Trials set for Eugene, Oregon in the summer.

McGregor (pictured) talked about her plans in THIS Team USA Minnesota media release.

McGregor, who has raced the marathon distance three times, has never run the Marathon Trials in her career. She has twice finished fourth at the Track and Field Trials in the 10,000-meters.

McGregor was pleased with her race in New York, where she was part of a large women's lead pack until mile 21.

"It was great to have a big group to run with since there was some wind," she said. "I felt like I ran a smart race overall. I didn't accomplish the main goals I set for myself, but I am still satisfied with the way I ran my race. I know that I am capable of running faster in the future."

McGregor had hoped to break 2:30 and finish in the top-10 in the race.

The New York City Marathon capped a strong year on the roads for the long-time Team USA Minnesota athlete. She dominated the USA Running Circuit by winning three USA titles, -- at 15K, 25K, and 10 Miles -- taking runner-up honors in the USA Marathon Championship held in conjunction with the NYC Marathon, and finishing third at the USA 10K.

McGregor tallied 79 points in the competition, outdistancing runner-up Shalane Flanagan at 45 points and Renee Metivier Baillie at 34.

"I am very excited to be the winner of the 2010 USA Running Circuit," McGregor said. "The circuit showcases a very deep and talented field of runners so this is a special accomplishment."

In 2011, McGregor said she plans a campaign mixing cross country, road racing, and track competition.

Photo by Gene Niemi.

No comments: