Friday, September 04, 2009

It's Been A Good Year for Laura Januszewski

This has been a good year for Laura Januszewski. Who, you might ask? Does the name Laura Hermanson ring a bell? Same Laura, only after a very successful outdoor track season, Laura got married, thus the name change. In this interview she tells about her year, her recent accomplishments, and future plans.

Down the Backstretch: You had a breakthrough year, taking second at NCAA outdoor nationals and fifth at the US championships. At NCAAs you said your goal going into the final was to run 2:02, and you ended up running 2:01. Did that performance open our eyes a bit and make you think seriously about the possibility of making the team for Worlds?

Laura Januszewski: I think it opened my eyes to the possibility of post-collegiate running. I mean, I always considered it, but I never thought people would want to be giving me free stuff and sending me to Europe. I guess, I was still a little in the dark about all that stuff, and still am a little, before that weekend.

For me, and NDSU, it was just a huge accomplishment to finish where I did. I knew coming into the meet that it was going to be tough to get into finals; there were a lot of talented and fast girls, and only eight of them were going to make it to finals. But, to answer the question, not only did it open my eyes, but it made my mouth drop to the ground. I knew I was in good shape, and I have come through the 600 at 1:30/1:31 before, but I have never finished like that, so for me, it was a huge confidence booster.

DtB: The USATF champs race was amazingly close with eight runners bunched together at the finish. Give us your thoughts on that race.

LJ: USAs was a crazy race. I had no idea how close everything was until I talked to Jake, my husband, and he told me what the time difference was between first and eighth place. How often does a race go four lanes wide? I think I ran pretty smart, I got a little boxed in down the backstretch...ha…of the second lap, but other than that, if I learn to lean, I can’t complain too much.

Last year at the Trials, I finished tenth and was pretty excited about that, but to finish fifth this year was pretty awesome. I was able to try on the USA gear and that was a huge motivator for me. I don’t know why, but for some reason, it made me feel fast just wearing it.

I still think I can race a little smarter in some of these races. These races tend to go out faster than what I would want them to go out, so I’m going to have to figure out how to stay in my racing strategy without getting too far out of position.

DtB: This has been a big year for you off the track as well. You were awarded a postgraduate scholarship, and you also got married. Tell us a bit about both of those happy events.

LJ: Well, June and July were some crazy months for me to put it mildly. Between NCAAs, US Champs, and going to Europe to compete for a few days, my life was a hectic mess. I am now Mrs. Laura Januszewski, and I can hardly wait for the announcers to choke on that name…haha.

But, I married a former Bison steeplechaser, Jake Januszewski. We were married in Perham, MN on July 25, and it was a perfect summer day. In fact, you can watch our first dance on www.youtube.com by typing “Januszewski/Hermanson Wedding Dance”…it’s not a sappy first dance, check it out. He’s my new training partner whenever our schedules allow for it, and he’s showing me the big town and best routes of Grand Forks.

I am pretty excited about the post-grad scholarship, however, what I am going to do with it is up in the air. I’ll get back to you on that one…

DtB: You majored in business and German, the NDSU web page says, what do you plan to do with your degree and/or use your scholarship on for a graduate degree? Would have been appropriate if you had made the World team for Berlin as you would have spoken the language :-)

LJ: I think my degree will be put on hold for a while. I have toyed with the idea of going back to school for a Business Education degree and teaching, but things are a little hectic in my life to really put any effort into that. For now, I am working at Beyond Running, a running store in downtown Fargo. It’s the best option right now as far as fitting in time to train and compete goes. I do plan on using my post-grad scholarship. For what, I’m not sure. If anybody has any ideas, let me know. I’m kidding. Either an MBA or for education, if I do go the Business Education route.

DtB: How does running fit into your future? Do you plan on continuing your career? Aim for the 2012 Olympic team? If so, what are your plans for your athletic future?

LJ: I am going to keep running. I actually just started a new training program on Monday, and my body is a little sore. I had a great offer from Team USA Minnesota to join the team, but I have decided to stick with what I know and with what works. Ryun (Godfrey), my coach from NDSU, is going to keep writing workouts for me. We have a great relationship and have made big strides in the past couple years, so I think it is the best choice. Things will be a little different however. My husband is finishing Physical Therapy school in Grand Forks, so we will be there until the end of the semester.

Training in the rival city is a bit different. It’s a bit tough as I don’t have a training room to go to, and I am still looking for a weight room to use, but I’m not going to let that discourage me. We plan on moving back to beautiful Fargo in November/December, so I can train with Ryun. I am learning the trials and tribulations of being a post-collegiate athlete without a shoe deal and without money.

I have also committed to myself to train for the 2012 Olympic cycle. I am very excited to see where things go from here.

DtB: You came out of high school a two sport person. When did running take over from soccer and why?

LJ: Well, I went to college as a naïve high schooler who thought I could do two sports in college. Yeah, right. I think it really hit me my first year of college soccer that soccer just really wasn’t me anymore. Then track rolled around and I liked it my first year, but I definitely didn’t love it, and the work that went along with it.

But, as I got better, and as much as I probably wouldn’t admit this before, once I started the 800, I really started to love it. Now, running is just a part of who I am – it’s a lifestyle, not just a sport. I never thought I would be pursuing it after college, but I can’t imagine not competing right now. I just love the thrill of competition and the feeling of success. I just believe that I have faster times in me, and I can’t wait to see what they actually are.

DtB: What have you learned about yourself as an athlete over the past year? You seem to have done relatively low mileage and noted that you thought one reason for your improvement was the distance work you did during cross country. Have you had any injury problems or have you been relatively healthy as well?

LJ: I think I learned that patience is a virtue,that is for sure. Success in distance running, or anything for that matter, takes time, and the more mileage and training you put in, the better. My times have obviously reflected that these past couple of years, so my mileage will continue to increase in the fall. I plan on getting in some 60 to 65 mile weeks. We’ll see how that goes.

And, as much as I dislike cross country and fall training, I know it’s crucial to my success in track. I’m going to have to learn to grin and bear tempo and long runs. Long runs for me are like 13 miles, so most of you probably don’t feel too bad for me. Other than that, I listen to what Ryun says and do as I am told. He seems to know what he’s doing.

I really never set any goals this past year either as far as times go. It was more about wanting to be All-American and placing well. I think that worked well for me. I know that every race I get into from here on out is probably going to be fast and competitive, and as long as I stick my nose in there, and run a good race, the results will follow.

I have been pretty injury free--knock on wood. I did have some IT Band problems that knocked me out of most of my cross season two years ago. Last year, I had a freak foot problem that lasted a week, but other than that, I have been pretty healthy. I think good nutrition and rest are the keys for that. Sometimes you can’t avoid it, but I think those are pretty good ways to try to prevent it.

Photo by Bob Nelson, NDSU.

No comments: