Monday, June 20, 2011

Gabrielson Happy with 6th-Place Finish

Team USA Minnesota's Matt Gabrielson was pleased with his 6th-place finish at Saturday's 35th Grandma' Marathon in Duluth.

Gabrielson's run from Two Harbors to Canal Park in 2:13:30 was a personal best and qualified him for January's Olympic Trials Marathon in Houston. The Drake University alumnus was the top finisher from Minnesota in men's competition and the second American across the finish line.

13.1 Mpls

Kenya's Chris Kipyego edged Ethiopian Teklu Deneke at the finish line for the race victory, despite misjudging the finish line. Both were clocked in 2:12:16.

“My number one goal for Grandma’s was to run a respectable time that would seed me high for the Olympic Trials,” Gabrielson said in a Team USA Minnesota media release. “I did not care what anyone else in the race was planning or doing so I let the lead pack do their own thing believing deep down that I would be able to catch them in the late miles if I just ran my race. With the tailwind that was present and the confidence I had gained from running the [USA Championship] 25K solo, I knew I would be able to run by myself if I had to."

Conditions on the North Shore of Lake Superior were ideal for long distance running. Temperatures were in the low 50s and an easterly breeze pushed runners down the course.
“Tyler [McCandless who finished 11th], Jeff [Eggleston, fifth] and I were together for maybe 8 to 10 miles and then it was Jeff and I through about halfway," Gabrielson added. "Jeff took off to catch the lead pack so from mile 15 on, I was pretty much by myself concentrating on picking off the stragglers. I am pretty sure I was anywhere from 10th to 15th place for awhile but my splits were even and I felt confident that I could maintain the pace I was running and get in the top eight or so."

Saturday's race was only Gabrielson's fourth career marathon. His previous high-water mark in the event came at the 2008 Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon, where he was the runner-up.

“I pretty much felt good the entire way," the charter member of Team USA Minnesota said. "There were some spots where I felt a little blah but I just told myself that I would come out of it and feel good. My sole purpose was to run a time of 2:12-2:14 and I wasn’t going to risk blowing up by trying to chase down the pack.

"It was just a blast running from mile 22 to the finish with the awesome crowds. It was like a parade and I even gave some high fives. This is such a huge relief to run 2:13. I was indeed a 2:17 marathoner but that was after three marathons, one of which I ran in the best shape of my life but the weather conditions were not cooperative."

Gabrielson offer special thanks to his newly-wed wife and long-time coach for the performance.
“I owe so much to my wife and my coach. Julie did everything and anything that needed to be done leading up to this race. My coach, Dennis Barker, has stuck by my side through thick and thin and has always believed in me. There are only a handful of times that I have seen that man as excited as I did at the 24.5 mile mark. He is a great coach and I thrive under him because he is so flexible and caring.”

Next up for Gabrielson is his honeymoon, which he had delayed after getting married over the Memorial Day weekend. He then plans to compete in some late summer and fall races including the USA 20K Championships at New Haven and the USA 10 Mile Championships at Twin Cities.

Additionally, Gabrielson has just been named the head coach for girls cross country at Edina High School after being an assistant coach for the Edina boys cross country team for five years.

More Grandma's Coverage ... Here's our collection of reporting from the 35th Grandma's Marathon:

The Star Tribune's Marathon Race Story.

The Duluth News-Tribune's Men's Marathon Story

The DNT's Women's Marathon Story

The DNT's Jen Houck Story, the top Minnesota women's finisher.

The DNT's Half Marathon Story.

Chris Kipyego edges Teklu Deneke for the 2011 Grandma's Marathon title.

Photo by Jeff Frey & Associates, courtesy of Grandma's Marathon.

No comments: